Wooden Nativity

Last weekend I got to experience my first ever "Super Saturday," which is a day when all the ladies in my church get together and craft.  These next few posts will show the crafts that I chose to make.  I think they all turned out very cute!  


For this wooden Nativity we were given all the plain wood pieces and could paint them however we chose.  I was surprised to see how diverse the choices were among the others who did this craft with me.  Some chose bright colors, others chose neutral colors.  I stuck with the colors from the example on our table.  Yah, I didn't feel like being all unique I guess.  :)  First I sanded the wood pieces to smooth the surfaces and give the edges a more rounded feel.  Then I watered down some paint and applied a thin coat to each piece.  To add dimension I gave Mary a little more than just a solid blue coat of paint.  Then I sanded the pieces again to give them a worn, kind of distressed look.  After the paint on the star dried, I added a touch of Mod Podge and some gold glitter.  Then I glued the heads on the bodies and attached those to the base with hot glue.  I finished it off by tying some twine string around it.  Voila!  A simple looking Nativity to display at Christmas! 


Go to Pops and Podge to see more Super Saturday crafts we did last weekend. 
 







No comments: